6 Nations 2017 – Round 2 – Part 2

From the outset there was going to be rivalry, power and determination from both sides.  Pressure would be on the England side intent on extended their most ever consecutive wins.

The Welsh side was without George North who had not recovered from last weeks injury, although doubts over Dan Biggars’s fitness were unfounded as he took his place in the starting line up.  For England may eyes were on Ben Youngs viewed to be a key player.

Wales took an early lead with an early penalty for wales by Lee Halfpenalty scoring to take his all time six nations points to 298.  A high tackle by wales resulted in England having position, Wales were fully stretched as England thundered at the Welsh line, the defence was holding out but proved not to be strong enough as England scored a Try by Ben Youngs.  They only gained 5 points as Farell failed to convert.

Wales fought back with a penalty from halfpenny.  Shortly after Wales thought they had a try but despite protests from the scrum half TMO proved it was grounded short, however they were immediately awarded a penalty due to an illegal move – they turned down the easy option of kicking for 3 points in favour of a try a bad decision when the scrim collapsed and England were then given a penalty and moved the ball on.

Wales appeared to start the second half stronger than England.  A lot of  very scrappy play followed with no real action until Wales won the scrum 2 minutes before half time resulting in a try from Liam Williams converted by half penny wales lead 13-8.

Slow scrappy play started the first half.  A late tackle on Farrell went unnoticed by the referee; although there was no complaint from Farell who just got up and carried on (notable difference between football players and rugby players).

England closed the gap with a penalty from Farrell although moments later a penalty scored by Halfpenny took the Welsh advantage back to 5 points.   Scrappy play and missed opportunities continued until England took the lead with 4 1/2 minutes to go the successful conversion by Farrell leaving the Welsh needing a try.

As Wales made a push for the line England looked to be in trouble until a penalty was awarded to England with 30 seconds on the clock allowing the ball to be made safe and England to claim their 16th successive win and Joe Launchbury to be named as MOTM.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s